Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Woman. Writing.


Yes, the book I threatened everyone with is done. Now I have to get a publisher--I'll do it too.

Statement of Truth: I would love to write like John Updike or Joseph Heller or William Faulkner but I'm just a goofball with a yen to write something so don't expect anything profound from me. Just entertaining and yet written above a third grade reading level.

I went out and bought a couple of romantic suspense books to see what kind of stuff was in the stores and I'm here to say that there's a lot of crap out there. So, I think I'll add some of my own crap to the pile.

To prepare for this writing adventure, which has been and continues to be, a laugh-riot--I've taken some writing courses through Gotham Writer's.
I've learned a lot. For on-line instruction they're pretty good, lots of instructor and student participation.
People who are writing romantic suspense range far and wide--lots of vampires these days. And demons.
But there are so many categories of romantic fiction! I'm amazed.
And so many rules.
I'm old though and I say the hell with rules so finding a publisher may not be so easy.
Because I'm old and I have so much pent up aggression, I was just aching to blow somebody up!
BOOM. Ick. Gone. Fun.
And let me tell you about sex. Lots of erotic romance out there...did you know that there are books that can go on for PAGES AND PAGES of whacked out upside down sex between all combinations and numbers of men and women and yet all the women manage to remain virgins??? It's like magic.
Now I'm just as manipulative as the next writer but I like to at least lean toward the real world so you won't find any virgins in anything I write.
Lots of fantasy being written too--I will never even try it--after Alice in Wonderland and Lord of the Rings, why bother?
Historical Romance.
Hysterical Romance.
Inspirational Romance--this is good--lots of god involvement. I attach another picture because although I haven't asked any of my characters if they're believers or not none of them really care about the old voyeur. They just dig in and have at it.
I start another class next week--after all, I really would like to write good crap.
I'll keep you posted.

No comments: