Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Running Mates

(This is a reply that I wrote to a letter from a friend.)


Yeah, running mates. The press seems to think Barack will choose Evan Bayh. I could live with that, I guess. It almost never turns out to be who the press thinks it's going to be anyway.

McCain was supposed to be considering that Jindal (sp?) guy, but I think he's cooled off on him.

You know what I would love? I would love it if Barack would stick his neck out and choose a Republican, like Richard Lugar or Chuck Hagel. They both seem to be good, thoughtful guys, and I'd trust them to vote their consciences as much as I'd trust any Democrat. Also it would demonstrate a spirit of bipartisanship, don't you think? I think that one of the most pressing problems we have is an increasing polarization along party lines. People aren't looking so much at the issues as they're looking at how their party stands on those issues. Like it was a football game or something. Go, Team, Go!! And that's just silly.

Ooh, I think I'll post this. (That's what's known as a 'cheap' post; using email as a blog item. I do it all the time. I have some of my best ideas whilst emailing.) Now, I just have to find a good picture for it.

- Maggie

Yeah, the more I think about that idea, the more I like it. Someone has to take a bold step here. What could better illustrate a concern for all of our citizens than running a bipartisan ticket? It would also show that the Executive Branch cares more about moving forward, together, as one people, than it does about political expediency.

It's probably a pipe dream, but if I ruled the world, that's how it would go. (And every day would be the first day of spring, of course.)

- Maggie

No comments: