Thursday, December 4, 2008

Speaking of Lutherans....




It was a big day when the Lutheran Church that my husband attends finally erected their new steeple. As a good friend of Grace Lutheran, (though, alas, an infidel) I went along to take pictures of the process.

My favorite picture is the one on the top of this post. Even as I took it, I was thinking,"If this was in black and white it would look like Walker Evans took it." (Ordinarily I'm very modest.) So I desaturated the color and voila! (See the second picture.)

Walker Evans (the Real Deal) took the picture at the bottom. I'm willing to concede that he was a slightly better photographer than I am. But he didn't have to deal with the moire effect! It took me FOREVER to get it out of the grating in the steeple. But I had to do it. I was afraid that it might trigger seizures in the susceptible.

- Maggie

No comments: