Friday, September 26, 2008

The Naked Debate



It's no news by now that John McCain has re-changed his minds about suspending his campaign and postponing the debates. I'm beyond surprise as far as Mr. McCain and his cohorts are involved, but his announcement did spur me to action.

I've never contributed money to a political campaign in my long years as an intransigent independent (with a small 'i'). Yet today, I went onto the Obama campaign site and contributed $25.00 and bought $27.00 worth of campaign buttons, with free shipping and handling. (Including that stunningly perfect one pictured on top of this entry. Actually, I got three of them; one each for me, my sister and my niece.)

$52.00 may not seem like a lot, but it was a big move for me, who would never before have considered sending one thin dime to a politician, even back in the days when I was flush with gelt. But I consider this money well spent. It's a $52.00 "Piss off, you insane git!" to John McCain and all who run in his pack. It's the price of a tank of gas, if I wasn't quite on 'empty' to start with. It's the cost of two BIG bags of the good cat food. They'll just have to eat Purina for a month or two. (Even my Neo-Con cat, Tuna.) It's the price of three hardcover books at Barnes & Noble, if I use my discount card. So, I'll re-read 'The Alexandria Quartet' for awhile. (But not 'Justine'. I could never get into 'Justine'.) We all have to make sacrifices.

I don't intend to watch the debate tonight. I have a soft spot in my heart for loony people and the image of John (Droopy) McCain facing Barack Obama is too painful. I DO hope that the debate moderators remember to pat John down for the same audio receiver that George Bush famously sported in one of his debates with John Kerry. In the name of fairness, they should make them both strip down to their underwear for the event. It would illustrate which man possesses the most grace under pressure and might get Barack a few votes that are presently sitting on the fence.

- Maggie (Lois Carneiro)

No comments: